The Georgetown University Information Retrieval Lab
The IR lab was started in 1998 at IIT. The lab is now growing as part of Georgetown University's Computer Science Department.
Members of the lab have graduated 34 PhD students (21 in IR/ML/NLP), published more than 100 IR, NLP and Text Mining refereed papers in top conferences and journals, have greater than 60 patents issued, and placed highly in TREC many times. Students have gone on to take key positions in major corporations such as BEA (now Oracle), Amazon, Max Plank Institute for Informatics, Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Orbitz, AOL, BAE, Telecordia, and co-found companies including Summize (merged with Twitter in 2008). Others have taken academic positions.
- The Information Retrieval Lab is hosting the Workshop on Computing for Physical and Mental Health on November 9, 2018
- Congratulations to Arman, Bart, Andrew, Luca, Sean, and Nazli for winning first place in the poster session at the 7th Annual Biomedical Informatics Symposium (ICBI).
- Congratulations to Ophir Frieder for his induction in Academia Europaea (The Academy of Europe)
- Congratulations to Andrew Yates, who is now a Senior Researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Informatics.
- Our paper "SMHD: a Large-Scale Resource for Exploring Online Language Usage for Multiple Mental Health Conditions" was nominated for best paper and was selected as an Area Chair Favorite!
- Congratulations to Luca Soldaini for receiving Information Retrieval Lab Spirit Award (May 2018)!
- Congratulations to Arman Cohan for winning the 2017-2018 Dr. Karen Gale Exceptional PhD Student Award in Science!
- Congratulations to Luca Soldaini for passing his doctoral defense in Spring 2018. Luca is joining Amazon Alexa as an Applied Scientist.
- Congratulations to Arman Cohan for passing his doctoral defense in Spring 2018. Arman is joining Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) as a Research Scientist.
- Congratulations to Ophir Frieder for his induction in European Academy of Sciences and Arts (EASA).
- Congratulations to Andrew Yates, Arman Cohan, and Nazli Goharian for winning an EMNLP 2017 "Best Long Paper award" for their paper "Depression and Self-Harm Risk Assessment in Online Forums".
- Congratulations to Sean, Arman, and Nazli for winning second place in the poster session at the 6th Annual Biomedical Informatics Symposium (ICBI).
- The Information Retrieval Lab hosted the Innovation Health Workshop.
- Congratulations & all the best to Andrew Yates for starting Postdoc at Max Planck Institute.
- Congratulations to Jon Parker, Jason Soo, and Andrew Yates for passing their dissertation defenses in Spring 2016.
- Ophir Frieder joins UMBRA Global as CHIEF SCIENTIFIC OFFICER
- Congrats to Jonah Joselow for receiving the Computer Science Award today in the Tropaia award ceremony at Georgetown. This award is given anually to at most one graduating senior in CS.
- Congratulations Luca, Arman, Andrew, Nazli, and Ophir for winning second place in the poster session at the 3rd Annual Biomedical Informatics Symposium.
- Researchers recognized as leaders by national academy of inventors.
- We are looking for PhD students. If interested contact Nazli Goharian at firstname.lastname@example.org.