The Georgetown University Information Retrieval Lab
The IR lab was started in 1998 at IIT. The lab is now growing as part of Georgetown University's Computer Science Department.
Members of the lab have graduated 32 PhD students (19 in IR/ML/NLP), published more than 100 IR-related refereed papers in top conferences and journals, had more than a dozen patents issued, and placed highly in TREC many times. Students have gone on to take key leadership positions in major corporations such as BEA (now Oracle), Amazon, Orbitz, AOL, BAE, Telecordia, and co-found companies including Summize (merged with Twitter in 2008). Others have taken academic positions.
- Congratulations to Andrew Yates, Arman Cohan, and Nazli Goharian for winning an EMNLP 2017 "Best Long Paper award" for their paper "Depression and Self-Harm Risk Assessment in Online Forums".
- Congratulations to Luca Soldaini for passing his proposal defense in Spring 2017.
- Congratulations to Arman Cohan for passing his proposal defense in Fall 2016.
- The Information Retrieval hosted the Innovation Health Workshop.
- Congratulations & all the best to Andrew Yates for starting Postdoc at Max Planck Institute.
- Congratulations to Jon Parker, Jason Soo, and Andrew Yates for passing their dissertation defenses in Spring 2016.
- Ophir Frieder joins UMBRA Global as CHIEF SCIENTIFIC OFFICER
- Congrats to Jonah Joselow for receiving the Computer Science Award today in the Tropaia award ceremony at Georgetown. This award is given anually to at most one graduating senior in CS.
- Congratulations Luca, Arman, Andrew, Nazli, and Ophir for winning second place in the poster session at the 3rd Annual Biomedical Informatics Symposium.
- Researchers recognized as leaders by national academy of inventors.
- We are looking for PhD students. If interested contact Nazli Goharian at email@example.com.